Wild at Heart Design’s Sara Katz creates gardens you can enjoy in all four seasons. She works closely with you to determine your preferences and requirements before designing a clean, uncluttered framework that reflects your unique style and needs. Then, she develops a planting plan that incorporates your favorite plants, building on her pallet of signature plants lists easy-care native and pollinator-friendly perennials, grasses, trees and shrubs. Low maintenance and water conservation are important components of the plan. The constructed elements of the garden – walls, steps, decks, fences, paths and patios – are designed to showcase your unique collection of plants and to meet your practical needs, whether for outdoor dining and lounging; play spaces for children; a dog-friendly garden; growing vegetables or special plant collections; ponds, pools and water features; compost bin and water barrel placement; or a need for shade, privacy or noise abatement.
1. To begin the design process, Sara will meet with you to talk about your preferences, needs, ideas and budget. She will take photos and detailed measurements of the space.
2. You will receive a written design proposal. Once you’ve approved and signed the document, a 50 percent deposit will be required. The design fee will be based on the size and complexity of the design.
3. Sara will create a preliminary design for your landscape and meet with you to present the plan. At this stage, you can discuss any changes or additions that may be required before finalizing the design and plant selection.
4. Sara will print and deliver the finalized plan to you, along with a scope of work outlining in detail all the work needed to create your dream garden. The balance of the design fee is due at this time.
Construction & Planting
1. Based on the scope of work, Sara will generate estimates from prospective contractors for the built elements of the garden (e.g. hard landscaping, such as patios and walkways). She will also provide you with an estimate for plant material and planting services.
2. Once you have chosen a contractor and made deposits for the construction work, plants and planting, work schedules can be determined and finalized.
3. Your dream garden will be installed.
4. When your garden is completed, Sara will walk through the garden with you to ensure that all work has been done to your satisfaction and answer any questions. The balance of payment for planting services and construction work is due at this time.
“I particularly appreciate the attention Sara pays to choosing plant material that will withstand weather and soil conditions, and that will showcase changing colours with the passing of the seasons. Thanks to Sara’s knowledge and work, I now have a garden that I and passers-by enjoy.” – Mary Ella, Bloor West Village
Wild at Heart Design offers clients a full-scale design and installation service that includes professional drawings, comprehensive plant lists and complete project details and costs.